Wheaton Admissions Blog

About This Blog

The Wheaton Admissions Blog provides content about programs, events and topics of interest to both prospective and current students and parents.

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts

Musical Theology: 3 Gifts from My Wheaton Experience in the Conservatory of Music

Posted by Wesley Newton

Wesley_Newton_Violin_In_Concert_Optimized.jpg

The dean at the Wheaton College Conservatory of Music, Dr. Michael Wilder, humorously proposed a “warning label” for our instrument cases: “Caution: Use of this instrument can lead to… a tendency to spend prolonged periods of time practicing alone in very small rooms...” With this warning, Dr. Wilder reminds us that being a music major entails years of solitary focus.

Read More

Topics: Conservatory of Music

Why My Education in the Conservatory of Music Needs the Liberal Arts

Posted by Nicholas Muzik

NicholasMuzik_atPiano_Optimized.jpg

Three years ago, I was sitting at the kitchen table, discussing college options with my parents. The previous year, I had decided that I wanted to study music composition, but I did not know how I wanted to obtain that degree. I was looking at two schools: Wheaton College and a state school about an hour and a half away from home. Both educations would challenge me as a composer. In different ways, both educations would confront me in my spiritual walk. Both educations would compel my complete dedication to music.

Read More

Topics: Conservatory of Music